.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Saturday, November 14, 2009

Interview: Oran Juice Jones


In the new age of hip hop, at times it seems that all of the music from different regions, audiences, and styles have formed into one big melting pot. It’s difficult to tell each apart. Everyone’s sound is being imitated or duplicated, and every beat sounds the same. Original swag is missing from current hip hop, something that our godfathers possessed and blessed us with when hip hop was first started. Oran Juice Jones is one of the originators of hip hop swag. His pimp-style and slang was original, and added a new element to hip hop that broadened the musical horizons. Years later, Oran Juice Jones is gearing up for a new release, discusses his son’s upcoming debut, and reminds of us that he still possesses the pimp swag.

Since you stepped on the scene, a lot has changed in hip hop. What do you think about its evolution?

I try not to be judgmental of anyone’s artistic contributions. I applaud their willingness to do so. They all have something to say, and 10 years from now I hope they are happy with what they did.

I know that you came out in the early Def Jam era. Do you still communicate with any of the founding artists?

I talk to Russell every now and then. He and my wife grew up together in NY so they communicate often. I mostly talk to everyone. I talked to Busy Bee and Grandmaster Cas a week ago. I still communicate with program directors, managers, radio people, and other execs from those days. Quite often I still get calls from the young and old wanting advice.

Who do you enjoy listening to currently?

I like Wu-Tang, Jay-Z, and Soulja Boy. Oh yeah and I really like Mookie Jones! (His son)

Your new album is called “ISM”. What does that mean?

ISM stands for Intellectual Stimulating Metaphors. That’s pimp talk baby. ISMs have messages in them; it’s not just slick talk. Throughout the whole album we’re going to be teaching these young cats about the ISMs of life.

Are you looking to collaborate with any artists?

I’ll probably get Big Daddy Kane on there and other legends in the pimp game. But most definitely going to have Max Julien on it. He’s got something special for the project.

So your son Mookie looks to be carrying on the legacy with his upcoming rap debut. Would you ever collaborate with him?

Oh yeah, we got a song called That’s Just Life. I’ll be doing some things with him for his upcoming project. We’re very close, and we still connect on different levels.

What advice are you giving him for his career?

Just to be a man about everything he does. I’m not really giving him any advice about his actual music because I’m old school and I’m out of touch. I’m just telling him to get his message across in a profound way. Don’t ever say or do anything that you would be ashamed of 10 or 20 years from now.

You’re a legend in the game; you’ve contributed a lot to black music. With your new music, what do you think you will be contributing next?

Most cats focus on the action, but we’re putting together a collection focusing on the attitude. Pimpin’ is the cornerstone of capitalism. I’m not expecting to do big numbers with this; I just want to bring that original pimp music. The new album is called “ISM”, it stands for Intellectual Stimulating Metaphors. I want to teach these young cats about the ISMs. I want to leave the people with some messages before I leave this earth, that’s why I decided to go ahead and release this project now.

Oran Juice Jones new album “ISM” is coming in 2010.