.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Saturday, October 31, 2009

Interview: Dre P (VH1's Tool Academy 2)


Dre P – Not Just a Tool






I got the chance to have a talk with VH1 Tool Academy 2 cast member Dre P and discuss his background, his experience on Tool Academy, and his future plans. I truly enjoyed chatting with the Toledo, OH native and learned that he is far from a tool and has quite an impressive resume – in music! Yes this VH1 heartthrob was a hard working rapper before the show, and upon his return he got back to his grind like he never left. Dre P is a young, humble, multi-talented man ready to make big things happen! Check him out:


You were a bit of a local celebrity before you appeared on VH1. What were you doing before you were cast on Tool Academy 2?


Well I’ve been running a company called Fly Guy Entertainment. I’ve been doing music since 2003, and while doing that we also threw the hottest parties and events in the city.


We’ll get back to the music because you have an impressive rap sheet. So what brought you to Tool Academy?


I’ve dipped in film a little here and there. I actually auditioned for I Love New York 2 and made it pretty far so I’m not a stranger to castings and auditions. My girlfriend, Leah, told me that there was an opportunity to be a part of the HER Energy Drink campaign and I felt that I had the personality for that so we flew out to California. Next thing I knew, I was on VH1’s Tool Academy 2.

So it REALLY was a surprise to you that you were going to be on Tool Academy?

Yes, it really was! Like I said, I’ve gone to auditions before, but this one really caught me by surprise.

How was it getting along with the other guys in the house?

It felt a luxury prison – no phones, no TV, nothing. It’s 12 guys in there and we’re all sleeping on these little cots. There was a lot of testosterone in the house so every guy wanted to be the big dog and intimidate people.

Do you feel that you deserved to be on the show?

Yeah, definitely. I’m a nice guy but I can ignite, go off quickly. I had some personal problems that were affecting our relationship. We had actually broken up right before the show started taping, but when I found out that I got casted on VH1, we both saw it as a sign that maybe this was meant to be and we worked through it.

Do you feel that you learned/gained anything from the experience?

Yeah I feel that I’ve changed a lot. My outlook on relationships and dealing with females is different. The therapy sessions were REAL. As the show progressed, the sessions got tougher and I really learned a lot from them.

Why do you think that you were really eliminated?

Honestly, even though I kind of lost my cool that episode, I felt like I was progressing but my girl was digressing. Leah is a hot head. She was having problems with some of the other girls on the show. I feel like she lost focus as the show progressed and fell out of tune with the purpose of us being there.

So how has it been between you and Leah since you left the show?

Being out in California opened up our eyes to a whole new world. I saw that we could really advance ourselves and progress together, but I think the show went to Leah’s head.

Yeah…I saw that she is now pursuing a rap career. How do you feel about that?


I really think that she knew the exposure that she could get from the show before we went. I think that the whole thing was pre-meditated for her. Before the show she wanted to go to school and get into film, now all of a sudden after the show she’s a rapper.

When you returned to Toledo after the show, did you notice a difference in the way people treated you?

Yeah, it’s funny how everyone thinks that since you’re on a reality show, you’re rich. People think that you’re mainstream so they wanna start hatin’. I get more support from other states than my own. It’s funny that when I did Apollo and 106 & Park that they couldn’t get enough of me. But since I came back from the show I haven’t been getting any support. But shouts to The Juice 107.3. They showed me love.

And that brings us back to the music, you have a nice resume.

Yeah, I performed at the Apollo in Harlem in 2006. After performing, a talent scout came to me and said she wanted me to meet Boyz to Men’s Shawn Stockton. So we met, and after I free styled for him on the spot, he told me he wanted to sign me to his label. Unfortunately, nothing ever came of it; I think he was kind of in over his head. So later I performed BET’s 106 & Park. That led to me doing advertisements and commercials for BET. I also toured with Young Joc and his label Swagg Team for a while.

What are you working on now?

I’ll be in a fashion show in LA next month, as well as performing at 740 Club. I’m currently pushing my mixtape, “106 & Parr” with the lead single “Rockin’ off my Rocker” which was produced by platinum producers, Trackzillas.

What’s next for Dre P? What can we look forward to seeing from you next?

Look forward to some surprises. I’m gonna catch people off guard. You might see me in a few movies, or even a Got Milk ad. Also look out for Ray-J's “Turn It Around” featuring me.


Check out Dre P at:


Myspace.com/drep419
twitter: @drep419
Youtube.com/user/drep419








Dre P's single - "Rockin Off My Rocker"