.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Interview: Big Boss E (Houston, TX)



Houston has bred some of the best contributors to hip hop. Legendary artists like UGK and Scarface set the bar for southern hip hop, sending a message that real MCs live in the south. Following them were H-town all-stars Slim Thug, Mike Jones, Paul Wall, and Chamillionaire. Let’s not forget the contributions from artists like Trae, Lil Flip, Z-Ro, and my personal favorite, Lil Keke gave in building the underground scene. It’s quite obvious that Houston owns a giant piece of the evolutional hip hop pie, and their stock continues to climb with their newest addition. Big Boss E is the leader of the new class of Houston hip hop and he’s setting new trends. His fast-talking, smooth and original style will show and prove what it means to have natural swag.

So when did you start rapping?

I started when I was 15 years old. I had a group called Dime Squad, all people I grew up with.

What inspired you to start rapping?

I’ve always loved music. I was born in Brooklyn so I grew up listening to Wu Tang and other New York artists. But I’m southern bred so I got the best of both hip hop worlds.

Who are your musical influences?

Pimp C, Snoop Dogg, Notorious BIG, and Jay-Z. Everybody that makes that good music that got swag to it.

Are there any particular Houston artists that inspire you, or that you admire?

Yeah - Slim Thug, Bun B, Scarface, Pimp C. I watched Slim Thug’s grind for a long time. I would see him in the streets and in the clubs always grindin’ promoting himself and I respected that.

What’s your opinion on the current Houston hip hop scene?

We’re just stuck in tradition. They’re used to just one style, and I’m trying to bring something different, a new delivery. H-town is a great place and I’m ready to bring the new age swag.

What will you contribute to Houston’s music scene?

New age swag. It’s flashy and flamboyant, but it’s real. I’m a hustler and I promote hard work. I want everyone to see Houston in a different light. It’s a whole new time around here.

What would be your dream collaboration?

Not so much any artists, but on the production side, DJ Paul. A producer is going to help take you another level more so than an artist. I’ve always been a fan of his production so that would be a dream collab.

Tell me about your mixtape. Any artists or producers featured that you’d like to mention?

The mixtape is called Grape Jelly Hoe and it’s hosted by The Empire. I’m bringing a new style and originality, along with the new age swag. I got a song on there called “Datz Me” featuring Ricki Li; he represents that new age swag. J. Kut did most of the production. He did Licky Licky and Role Call as well. He’s very serious about his craft and he’s contributing to the new age swag.

What is Grape Jelly Hoe? How did you come up with that?

It’s a way of life! Instead of me saying I wanna be successful, I say I want that jelly! I grind for that jelly. It’s like everything mixed in a pot of gumbo. It’s that lifestyle, it’s about swag.

Big Boss E’s “Grape Jelly Hoe” mixtape, hosted by The Empire coming in 2010.


Big Boss E - Roll Call (Video)