.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

MTV's Disaster Date: Isn't This BET's Hell Date?

I watched MTV's new show Disaster Date this morning, and thought I was watching BET's Hell Date for a minute. It is the exact replica of Hell Date minus the little devil and all black cast. I'm not understanding how they got away with this...aren't they owned by the same company? Is this Viacom's doing? If so, I have a theory...

Hell Date didn't do so well on BET, but the idea was gold. Viacom's team went to the producer of Hell Date and cut a deal. They knew that they could take that show to MTV and bring in more viewers. MTV needed some fresh programs, and that show had the potential to be much bigger with some tweaking. That's a win/win. Viacom knew that the show would be more successful with the pop market so they placed it on MTV. I'm not sure which way it went, but Viacom either bought the rights to the concept from the producer, or offered him more money to co-produce with MTV. Either way, that's my theory...what ya think?