.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Monday, July 20, 2009

Jay-Z Responds to the Younger Rappers and Criticism


I must admit, Uncle Jay kinda irritated me with Death of Autotune. But I will never forget what he's done for hip hop and neither should these knucklehead rappers. Jay finally responded to all of the criticism he's been receiving lately from the younger rappers that have been doggin' him about being an older rapper.

"I hear it all the time -- 'Yo, he should let the young guys, the new generation of guys come in.' But you don't become the front-runner in music because someone lets you. You have to claim your shoes," Jay-Z says. "If you grow up listening to hip-hop, you love hip-hop and that's the end of it. But if you're a 30-year-old rapper still trying to make music like you're 15, then you're making it narrow. At my age, I can't relate to a 15-year-old. I deal with mature and relevant topics for my age group -- it has to all be based on true emotions. The more diversity and the more mature we make hip-hop, the bigger the net you cast."

Jay-Z criticizes some new artists for passing the buck and blaming others for their lack of popularity, but he acknowledges that more successful rappers need to serve as mentors to help develop the genre.

"Kanye is really the father to the next generation -- he's from the school of Q-Tip, and now Drake and Kid Cudi are from the school of 'Ye," he says. "And, when you look at Kanye, you have to look at Lil Wayne. I think they're like Kobe Bryant and LeBron James."

Full Story at-- Reuters.com